Al2O3.4SiO2.9H2O- A highly plastic clay used in small amounts as a plasticizer in clay bodies and a suspension agent in glazes. More than 3% can cause cracking in unfired glaze due to the high shrinkage rate.
Many materials used by potters in glazes and clay are potentially hazardous substances. We at Bailey feel you should take precautions to minimize exposure.
1. Handle materials carefully. Avoid spillage. Keep materials covered.
2. Wear a NIOSH approved respirator. Avoid breathing all dusts.
3. Wear rubber gloves when glazing or painting with oxides or stains.
4. Keep your workspace clean, free of dust.
5. Wash your work clothes separately from other clothing.
6. Do not eat or smoke in your workspace.
7. Use a wet mop for cleaning or a toxic dust vacuum cleaner.